Thursday 8 March 2012

EVALUATION QUESTION 3

What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why?

The magazine industry in the UK is one of the biggest selling industries the UK has. Some circulation figures for music magazines are below:

    • The Fly free ( Channelfly Enterprises Ltd ) : 100,574 ; -0.4%
    • Mojo ( Bauer Consumer Media ) : 87,555 ; -7.5%
    • Q ( Bauer Consumer Media ) : 77,522 ; -12.1%
    • Classic Rock ( Future Publishing Ltd ) : 62,354 ; -7.9%
    • Uncut ( IPC Media Ltd ) : 62,305 ; -14.2%
    • The Stool Pigeon free ( Junko Partners Publishing ) : 53,676 ; N/A
    • Properganda free ( Proper Music Distribution ) : 46,542 ; N/A
    • Kerrang! ( Bauer Consumer Media ) : 42,077 ; -2.1%
    • DIY Magazine free ( RWD Creative Media Limited ) : 36,801 ; N/A
    • Metal Hammer ( Future Publishing Ltd ) : 35,259 ; -15.7%
    • New Musical Express ( IPC Media Ltd ) : 27,650 ; -14.0%

    Two main publishers for music magazines are IPC Media and Bauer Media. IPC Media publishes NME magazine, whereas Bauer publishes Q Magazine, both of which are two of the top selling music magazines. 

    Throughout my blog, I have compared my music magazine to mainly NME and Q, but coming down to what institution I would want to publish my blog, I would go for IPC Media.


    My magazine compared to NME is different, but bares some similarities. I've used the same basic colours on my magazine, as NME do on theirs, (red white and black). The use of a badge in the corner to advertise something inside the magazine too is similar. I used NME too for font ideas.

    However, the increasing number of magazine buyers tend to nowadays use the internet for their musical updates on news, gigs, concerts, festivals etc.. Therefore, the music magazine business is slowly decreasing, but not so much that there would be no business for them.





    No comments:

    Post a Comment